The Niagara Central railway, opened in 1881, extended southward from St. Catharines through Thorold. After its long climb up the Escarpment it proceeded from there on an elevated wooden trestle that cut across the northern part of the town in a southwesterly direction, passing over Carleton Street, Ormond Street, and Front Street, and then behind t
Dennis Gannon, special to the Standard
The gentleman carrying the straw hat and descending a few steps in our old photo this week was Edward, the Prince of Wales, later King Edward VIII. He was descending the steps leading up to the Cenotaph here in St. Catharines, in Memorial Park on St. Paul West, next to the CKTB Radio headquarters. The Prince had just placed a wreath at the base of
The Niagara, St. Catharines and Toronto (NS&T) Street Railway had its remote origins in the St. Catharines Street Railway, a horse-powered service that commenced in late 1879.
Our old photo this week shows us the heart of the City of St. Catharines, the seed from which today’s City of St. Catharines has grown over the last 200- plus years — the place where, from the earliest days of Upper Canada, people spontaneously settled at the intersection of two thoroughfares that had existed here long before the coming of European
Our old photograph this week shows the lushly landscaped side yard of a house that once stood on the north side of Church Street east of Court. What we see in that photo (probably taken in the 1930s) is a far cry from what had been there back in the mid-1800s.
The protagonist of this profile of injuries and deaths among workers on the Welland Ship Canal is Luigi Fratangelo (also known at various times as Louis or Lewis Frada or Frado).
As early as 1875 St. Catharines had a horse-powered street railway that ran from downtown along St. Paul Street and Queenston to where Oakdale Avenue begins today.
Our old photo this week shows us the rear of Rodman Hall as it looked probably in the 1920s or 1930s. Our focus today is on the additions that allowed that grand old heritage building to become the arts centre that it is today.
For the past several weeks the news has been filled with reports of one horrifying natural disaster after another – Hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria ravaging the islands of the Caribbean and the Gulf coasts of Texas and Florida, and an earthquake devastating Mexico City and vicinity . . .
The Standard recently reported that in 2018 the city plans to re-configure the “five points” intersection where Geneva, St. Paul, Queenston and Niagara streets all meet. The plan includes re-routing Niagara Street away from intersecting with the other three streets.
Readers in St. Catharines have been able to borrow books since the establishment of the Mechanics’ Institute in the 1840s, but that was essentially a private institution and patrons did have to pay a fee for the books they borrowed.
In late August 1874, Governor General Lord Dufferin and Lady Dufferin undertook an official visit to southern Ontario — London, St. Thomas, Simcoe, Cayuga, Welland ... They finally reached St. Catharines on the afternoon of Friday, Aug. 28.
The first bridges across the Niagara River (first for pedestrians and carriages, later also allowing for railroad traffic) opened in the late 1840s and early 1850s. They were a good distance away from the Falls, crossing the Niagara Gorge where the CN crosses today at the eastern end of Bridge Street in Niagara Falls.
Aug. 6, is the 85th anniversary of the official opening of the latest Welland Ship Canal, the fourth realization of the vital economic link between Lakes Erie and Ontario that has meant so much to Niagara and to all of North America since the first canal opened in November 1829.
A lot of ink has been used this year in writing about the 150th anniversary of Confederation.
While out walking recently along the east side of Twelve Mile Creek between Glendale Avenue and downtown, I began to wonder about the path that the Creek is taking today. There are places where the shapes of the slopes down into the Creek valley, and related depressions in the adjacent land – especially at one place below Glenridge, just north of t
It’s a bright, sunny day, probably in late 1911 or early 1912, and the men of Newman Brothers construction company have paused to pose for a photo.
For upwards of a century, the southern half of the large triangular plot bounded by Niagara, Geneva and Church streets was mostly occupied by a huge planing mill producing lumber and all sorts of trim for local builders.
Of all the sites along Yates Street, from St. Paul West up to Adams Street, the southwest corner of Yates and Salina has probably had the most varied history.
Recognizing the need eventually to establish new parishes for local Roman Catholics as the city grew in the 1930s and 1940s, Monsignor Denis Morris acquired land on Russell Avenue at the foot of Henry Street as a possible site to serve the city’s north end.